Pages

Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Ice Cream Dress

One of the patterns I used and  really liked is called the Ice Cream Dress.  One day as I was blog hopping I came across the Badskirt blog.  Amy was having a sew along making the Ice Cream Dress.  It was so cute I decided I needed to make one for Lillian.
On the yoke of this dress you have to turn a hem before you sew it down and it needs to be nice and even since you are turning it to the right side.
Here is a little tip I have for pressing hems so they look nice and straight .

Cut a manilla folder into approximately 2 to 3 inch strips and mark the amount you want to turn under along the edge.  I guess you could use any type of folder just be careful if you choose a colored one because steam might transfer the color onto your fabric.

Then place the strip on the wrong side of the fabric and press the hem -  folding the fabric over the edge of the folder strip.

  This gives you a nice crisp turn with a smooth edge to sew down.  It's very quick and easy and could be used to turn a hem on almost anything where you want a nice even edge.
Happy stitching,
Nancy

4 comments:

  1. Nancy, I so remember our paper dolls, & love seeing this one. Resurrects so much childhood.

    Love the fabric. Just wish I could sew ... I do not.


    Would you be so kind to (& tell your friends) comment on my BLOG ONLY (emails don't count), for the Miracle Makeover fund drive. Charlie, 8 yr. old, & his story are fabulous. Every comment brings us a $1 for the next person that will be sponsored.

    Have a beautiful weekend.
    Hugs,
    TTFN ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice tip! Love the dresses! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great tip! I just recently got this pattern myself and will certainly apply your tip when sewing, thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful tip---thank you so much for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stoping by and taking the time to leave a comment!
I truly enjoy reading your comments.

Because of the recent uptake in spam I am no longer allowing anonymous comments. If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!