Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

The Chester County Criswell Quilt

There is a new Block of the Month quilt going around blog land called 
Sharon from Two Bits Patches is recreating a family quilt made in the 1850's in Pennsylvania as a wedding quilt.  The blocks were all made by different people and all are appliqued signature blocks.  Sharon is the Great Great Grand daughter of the bride for whom the quilt was made.  If you click on the link above you can read all about the quilt's history.

I have completed block one Jane Wilson’s block


and have block two Elizabeth Cowan's block ready to stitch.


  At first I wasn't going to do this quilt because I have several other applique quilts in progress but as I kept reading  her blog I finally became hooked.  One thing to like about the quilt it doesn't have borders.  I also enjoy reading all the family history.  There will be 36 blocks so all 64 of them will not be included...Thank goodness.  


I decided to use the starch and freezer paper method with the first two blocks.  You can read about my process here.  Having quite a few reproduction fabrics in reds and greens  my version will be somewhat scrappy.  I also had this background fabric on hand and decide to use it but on further examination I see it is directional..oh well, it will just have to do because I am not doing these blocks over.
When will I ever learn to pay better attention.

Happy stitching,
Nancy

3 comments:

  1. When all your blocks are done and together, the bg fabric will be in all directions and will be lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blocks look lovely. I agree with Sharon about the background, I don't think you need to worry about it. It's great seeing the fabrics and techniques that other people are using on their CCC quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your background! (whatever direction you place it). I'm too uncertain to try anything but plain for this quilt but REALLY enjoy seeing the variety! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stoping by and taking the time to leave a comment!
I truly enjoy reading your comments.

Because of the recent uptake in spam I am no longer allowing anonymous comments. If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!