I decided in order to justify the purchase of my Accuquilt GO I would make a quilt from each of the dies I have purchased using the pattern that came with the die. I have already made an Applecore quilt so for my second quilt I chose the 4x4 diamond die. I bought this die thinking I would use it to make one of Kaffe Fassett quilts from his book Simple Shapes, Spectacular Quilts but that's another story.
I went through my stash (because thats another part of this challenge to use only my stash fabric) and found all of the yellows and oranges I could. I stacked them and cut 4 1/2 by 11 inch pieces.
I placed them on the Accuquilt die and cut diamonds. I can't believe how fast the cutting goes using the GO.
I cut the leftover corners into 2" squares to use later.
This quilt has 2" strips between all of the diamonds so I got out my 2" strip die. Just look how quickly I cut the strips and they are perfectly straight.
The first step is to sew a strip to the end of each diamond.
Then you sew the diamonds into rows. When I laid them all out on my design wall I found I needed 94 diamonds the pattern called for 88 must have been a misprint.
Another problem I ran into was when I sewed the strips between the rows to assemble the quilt. I started sewing the long strip to the bottom of the row but it works better if you sew it to the top of the row.
When pinning the rows together you need to match the strips on the bottom of the diamonds to get the correct design.
I think this is a pretty cute quilt even made from scraps and leftovers. It just needs some pretty borders to finish it off.